Monday, June 20, 2011

Wildberry croissant bread pudding


I have a lot of trouble being still. Lying down, sitting in a chair, standing in a line; you name it. Tanning is especially hard. On top of my Irish complexion (thanks, Italian genes. why did you fail me?), the act of tanning has always been really difficult for me. But obviously I try. I try really hard. Every time I go to the backyard and lay down my towel I tell myself this will be the time. It's like some sort of pep talk or something. This will be the time that I learn to appreciate the joys of mindlessly laying still, in the sun, getting my glow on, tanning.

And I fail every time. The first minute, maybe two, I'm ok. I say to myself ok, this is totally doable. Relax, Sar. But, no. Fail. Suddenly my mind is racing through this, that, and the other thing. I wonder if the new episode of Weeds went up online yet... Ooh, wouldn't it be fun to learn that Regina Spektor song on piano?... I wonder what color I should paint my nails next...... It's horrible! I just can't do it!

Obviously today I tried to lay out. It's such a gorgeous day who wouldn't want to just chill in the sun? Well, apparently not I. Five minutes in and I'm thinking about what I can bake next for the blog. Two minutes later and I'm in my car going to the grocery store in search of some croissants and a can of sweetened condensed milk.


4 large croissants (or 8 mini croissants)
1/2 cup wildberry (or any other berry you prefer) preserves
3 large eggs
14 oz sweetened condensed milk
3/4 cup water
2 Tbsp butter, melted
1 tsp vanilla extract
Teensy dash cinnamon


Preheat oven to 350°. Coat a 9-inch square baking pan with cooking spray.

Cut croissants in half lengthwise. Spread about 1 tablespoon of preserves on each half. Replace tops, and cut croissants into small strips. Place strips in baking pan. Dab remaining preserves on top.

Whisk eggs, then whisk in milk, water, butter, vanilla, and cinnamon. Pour mixture over croissants. Press croissants into liquid if necessary. Let set for 5 minutes.

Bake until a knife or pick inserted in the center comes out clean (about 45 minutes). Allow to cool for 15 minutes. Sprinkle with confectioners sugar or whipped cream, if desired.


Recipe adapted from Smucker's.

No comments:

Post a Comment