Thursday, December 9, 2010

Wintery white chocolate cranberry popcorn


When I was a kid, whenever I went to the movies with my family, my sister would order a large popcorn and I, nothing. I was never a fan of popcorn on its own. But a couple years ago my aunt Daisy made this sweet popcorn snack for Thanksgiving second dessert (because there are numerous desserts on Thanksgiving, obviously). And every time since when I go to the movies and my sister orders popcorn, I always think about how there's nothing I want more than that white chocolate popcorn. There's something about sweet and salty together that makes your taste buds go "ooh-ee!" And the punch from the cinnamon is the perfect wintry addition to this dessert (/snack? dinner? hehe).


For the popcorn:

2 bags popcorn (any kind will do as long as it is salted and buttered)
1 1/2 cups white chocolate chips
3/4 cups dried cranberries
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
pinch of salt

Cook the popcorn according to package directions. Pour onto a sheet pan and mix in the dried cranberry.

Then, in a double broiler, melt the butter and chips together until smooth. Pour melted chocolate over the popcorn and cranberries, and toss until popcorn is well-coated. Dust the salt and cinnamon over the mixture and toss again. Let chocolate harden, then store in an airtight container for up to three days. Happy popcorn trails!

No comments:

Post a Comment